Assignment in Conditionals

Peter Ludemann ludemann at ubc-cs.UUCP
Wed Aug 14 15:13:59 AEST 1985

In article <594 at brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn at BRL.ARPA (VLD/VMB) writes:
>                                           ...  I used to
>think it would be nice if every statement returned a value,
>but as a result of the experience I have changed my mind.

A while back, I read a paper from the University of Toronto which
tested two otherwise "identical" languages - one was expression
oriented and one statement oriented.  Conclusion: the statement
oriented one was easier to learn and programming was faster in it.
The only problem was that the authors weren't sure how much of
this effect was caused by most other programming languages being
statement oriented (sorry, I don't have a reference for this -
it was a CSRG report from U of T).

--
ludemann%ubc-vision at ubc-cs.uucp (ubc-cs!ludemann at ubc-vision.uucp)
ludemann at cs.ubc.cdn