int16, int32

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Tue Aug 13 16:39:18 AEST 1985

In article <384 at uwmcsd1.UUCP>, jgd at uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:

> Um, excuse me folks, but this discussion is getting very machine dependent.
> Everyone seems to be assuming, at least tacitly, that "ints" come in
> only two sizes: 16 bits and 32 bits.
>
> I explicitly wish to point out that we run a UNIX implementation on a
> machine that uses the following:
>
> 		short int: 18 bits
> 		long int:  36 bits

I'd like to further point out that one of the machines I have access to has
the following:

		char:	8 bits
		short:	32 bits
		int:	64 bits
		long:	64 bits

The machine (Control Data Cyber 180/855) doesn't support 16-bit arithmetic
very well, which is why shorts aren't 16-bits, ints aren't 32 bits and longs
aren't 64 bits.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya							01111000
Georgia Institute of Technology

UUCP:   {akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
        {rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
BITNET:	CCOPRRV @ GITVM1