Program design techniques?

Jerry Carlin jmc at ptsfa.UUCP
Thu Aug 8 01:33:33 AEST 1985

> > I have sometimes used Warnier-Orr diagrams.
>
> 	What does "HIPOish" mean?  What are Warnier-Orr diagrams?

Warnier-Orr diagrams were created by Jean-Dominique Warnier in France and
Ken Orr in the US. The are typically included in the "DSSD" (Data  Structured
Systems Development) methodology. I have found them hard to use to represent
"break" and "continue" as well as "if ((c = getchar()) != EOF)".

To slightly change the subject, has anyone out there used the full DSSD
or other design approaches (such as Yourdon) for UNIX/C programs? I am a
part of a project looking at this and I have heard little but vendor claims.
Even biased testimonials (positive or negative) would be appreciated but
I'd really like to hear about any comparative studies.
--
voice= 415 823-2441
uucp={ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!jmc