casts to (void)

Peter da Silva peter at baylor.UUCP
Tue Aug 13 05:58:11 AEST 1985

> > > If you are trying to write code that runs unmodified both in
> > > standard environments and on 4.2BSD (not recommended), ...
> >
> > Why not? I try to make sure my code runs on K&R, 4.2, SV, and MS-DOS
> > without modification. Apart from system calls I'm usually successful.
>
> The reason why not is, you have to limit yourself to a fairly puny
> common subset and implement your own replacements for such useful
> functions as drand48(), hsearch(), tempnam(), getopt(), etc. etc.

Our native library doesn't have drand48, hsearch or getopt, and tempnam is
just a throwback to the days before sprintf.

> Also, it is hard to use the basic utilities via popen() since they
> don't behave the same in many cases.  You also cannot exploit the

I don't use popen either. It doesn't run on non-UNIX systems.

> more powerful features of "make", you have a "ranlib" problem, etc.

I don't even have MAKE on my IBM-PC. And before you flame me about using
an IBM-PC, it's a requirement of the job. The remainder of your message
suffers from the same flaws. Not everyone has access to all those neat
bells & whistles... this group is for 'C' standards, not UNIX standards.
'C' isn't an integral part of UNIX any more...

Semiflame: And SV isn't automatically THE STANDARD ENVIRONMENT either.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter