VAX VMS C / Rash attempt at porting Kermit

Chris Shaw cdshaw at watmum.UUCP
Thu Aug 22 11:08:01 AEST 1985

In article <545 at osu-eddie.UUCP> pritch at osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) writes:
>cdshaw writes:
>> VMS is very record-ish, while stream i/o is the unix thing. Unfortunately,
>> port didn't work because we didn't really spend the effort required to do
>> the QIO's required to fake stream i/o on VMS.
>
>Huh?  On input Vax-11 C converts records with any attribute (implied
>carriage control, print carriage control, FORTRAN carriage control, null,
>and VFC) to stream format (read your "Programming in VAX-11 C" book
>AA-L370A-TE) so everything always looks like stream files on input.  On
>output, Vax-11 C creates stream files unless you go through the immense
>amount of effort to specify otherwise.
>--
>Norm Pritchett

Well, it WAS about 1.5 years ago, but if you'd read my posting, you may have
noticed the word "Kermit" pop up. You might even know that since Kermit
is a terminal-bashing program, it requires byte-by-byte I/O. GET IT? We didn't
want buffering. And we didn't really have a clear idea how to turn it off.
I vaguely recall that either setbuf wasn't available, or it didn't work,
or it didn't do what we wanted.

Anyway, that was ages ago, so don't bug me.

Chris Shaw    watmath!watmum!cdshaw  or  cdshaw at watmath
University of Waterloo
In doubt?  Eat hot high-speed death -- the experts' choice in gastric vileness !