Bug in lint ?

Isaac Dimitrovsky dimitrov at csd2.UUCP
Wed Aug 21 05:47:00 AEST 1985

[]

I've run into a possible bug in lint. It can be reproduced on my system
(VAX 4.2BSD) by running lint -ap on the program below. This produces:

try.c:
try.c(5): warning: long assignment may lose accuracy

The options a and p are supposed to check for assignments of longs to
ints and incompatibilities with the IBM and GCOS dialects of C,
respectively. Strangely enough, when I just run lint with the a option
or the p option alone, the program goes through with no messages.
Any explanations or ideas welcome.

main() {
	long a;
	int i;

	a=0; i=1;
	if ((a & (1L<<i)) != 0L)
		a++;
}

Isaac Dimitrovsky
allegra!cmcl2!csd2!dimitrov   (l in cmcl2 is letter l not number 1)
251 Mercer Street, New York NY 10012

... Hernandez steps in to face ... Orl ... HERchiiiser ... and it's a liiine
driive, deeeeep to the gap in left center ...	- Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets