more about programming style

Norman Ramsey norman at lasspvax.UUCP
Wed Aug 14 06:05:52 AEST 1985

> What chance is there of having assignment denoted by := in the standard?
> (None, right?  To much code is written with = already. And if I really
> insist I could use the preprocessor.  None the less ... )
> The reason I would like this is then ALL assignments ( +=, |=, etc) would
> be two characters long (consistancy!!). Among other things this would minimize
> the = vs == type errors.
>
> Todd Olson

I think there is about as much chance of this as of the UNIX community
switching to MODULA-2. It just makes too much sense.
--
Norman Ramsey

ARPA: norman at lasspvax  -- or --  norman%lasspvax at cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!norman
BITNET: (in desperation only) ZSYJARTJ at CORNELLA
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
Telephone: (607)-256-3944 (work)    (607)-272-7750 (home)