more about programming style

Jay Freeman freeman at spar.UUCP
Thu Aug 22 06:39:56 AEST 1985

[libation to line-eater]

In article <16220 at watmath.UUCP> rbutterworth at watmath.UUCP (Ray Butterworth) writes:

>Even simpler.  Replace "<=" with "!>", and ">=" with "!<".  This gives
>even more consistency since you can now have "!<", "!>", and "!=".

I suspect that Ray Butterworth may have had a :-) in mind when he wrote
these lines, but I kind of _like_ "!<" and "!>".  I guess I always think of
"<=" -- for example -- as two separate tests and have to combine both of
them mentally when I am figuring out what something does.  (Or maybe it's
brain-damage from writing too many lines of assembler.)  Anyway, those might
be a reasonable enhancement, and surely would be all but free in terms of
additional compiler complexity.

--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)