c programming style - READ THIS

Peter da Silva peter at baylor.UUCP
Mon Aug 19 21:13:18 AEST 1985

> Well, then, he must have changed his mind at some point, considering that
> K&R says "++<something>" is the same as "<something> += 1".  As you'd have
> known if you'd read the article you were replying to, the article was
> referring to K&R not to a particular compiler written by R; the former may
> not be a great standard but it's a lot closer to a standard than the
> behavior of one particular compiler.
>
> 	Guy Harris

Since the behaviour of Ritchie compiler was used to resolve certain
ambiguities in K&R, it has to be considered part of the definition.
It's unfortunate that they never tried running Appendix A through YACC,
but them's the breaks. I guess the fact that YACC probably didn't exist
at the time of writing might have something to do with it.

Dennis? Can you confirm or deny this?
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter