Multilevel standards

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Jan 8 13:45:37 AEST 1985

> >Hey, c/mon fellas!  Pascal was designed as an introductory language for
> >a first programming course.  Of course, it's restricted! ... A toy language
> >(like Pascal) is not appropriate for building operating systems.
>
> Ah John, perhaps you should have a short talk with the folks over at Apollo.
> They built an entire os, a transparent shared file system, network and
> graphics system using Pascal.

1.e6 bucks says they didn't do it in standard J&W Pascal with no extensions.
For one think, J&W Pascal has no way of declaring a procedure whose source is
in another file than the source file that contains the use of the procedure -
I don't think the folks at Apollo wanted to waste their time building an
editor which can efficiently handle a source file consisting of the entire
code of their operating system...

Wirth didn't develop Modula-2 just for fun - he wanted to take the lessons
learned from Pascal and build a language suitable for production use.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy