SIZEOF

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 05:13:37 AEST 1985

In article <351 at ecr.UUCP> quenton at ecr.UUCP (Dennis Smith) writes:
>It might also be noted, although I have had no experience with them,
>some compilers for certain older generations of computers, generate
>pointers of differing sizes.  This occurs when the machine is not
>byte addressable, so that a pointer to a word aligned item might
>be "n" bits long, but a pointer to a character must point to the
>word and also indicate which character within the word.
>This would make the even more disastrous situation of
>  sizeof(char *) != sizeof(int *)
>making the defintion of something like NULL even more incomprehensible.

	And not only "older" computers, the current Honeywell
mainframe has an architecture which works like this.  Of course
that is because they decided to maintain code compatibility with
their old 600 series from the mid-60s.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen