Dollars and Sense

Tim Maroney tim at cmu-cs-k.ARPA
Tue Jan 1 05:45:15 AEST 1985

Using "asm( whatever )" to change the names of symbols is flawed for the
same reasons assembly language output processing is.  There are compilers
which neither put out assembly language nor have the capability to interpret
unusual (or any) "asm" statements.

I think the best idea so far was improving linkers so that they can do it.
Another option is to write programs for the various systems that filter
object files' symbol tables to change the names as desired.  This means you
don't have to mess with the existing linkers, just insert another
post-compilation processing phase.  I don't think a prototype program to do
this on UN*X would be very hard, but I don't have the time now myself.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney at CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.