iscntrl() (more history)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Jan 20 10:41:53 AEST 1985

> > >I wonder how ANYone could have decided that e.g. LF is NOT a control
> > >character?  (I'm sure the 4.2BSD fans will think that makes sense!)
> >
> > This was already in the original v7 ctype.h...
>
> NO, the mistake was not in the original v7 ctype.h (or, more precisely,
> ctype_.c).  I was made painfully aware of the fact by a program which
> broke when I moved from V7 to 4.1.

Strange...  Our V7 definitely thinks iscntrl('\n') == 0.  And ours is
pretty much straight off the Bell distribution tape; I did our V6-V7
conversion and can attest to this.  We've certainly never messed with
ctype_.c -- I just checked.  What was the history of your V7?
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology