an old idea whose time has come again

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 09:37:33 AEST 1985

In article <173 at abnji.UUCP> jeff at abnji.UUCP writes:

>	Rhetorical question: Why don't any of the 'modern' loaders
>offer these wonderful options?  Let's see you run a Fortran compiler
>and non-trivial program in 16K!!!!!
>
>P.S. I have pieces of the 1130 all over my apartment, including the
>	front panel.  Does anybody else miss the beastie????

Well, I wouldn't claim to *miss* the bloody thing, though I have fond memories.
Let's remember, though, that that 16K Fortran compiler had *27* (count 'em)
overlaid passes.  Things like:  pass 1 - lexical analysis of declarations,
pass 2 - lexical analysis of code, pass 3 - parse integer declarations,
pass 4 - put integer declarations into the symbol table (I'm making these
up; it's been far too long to remember what they were.  But you get the idea).
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff