longer than long

guido at boring.UUCP guido at boring.UUCP
Fri Jan 25 00:33:10 AEST 1985

In article <229 at ucbopal.CC.Berkeley.ARPA> tut at ucbopal.CC.Berkeley.ARPA writes:
>I believe that "hyper" is a better name than "long long"
>for quantities much larger than 32 bits.

No, it's not.  Hyper adds another reserved word to the language, with such
a tiny purpose (on many machines with no purpose!).  And what would you
call a double hyper?  super?  superhyperduper?  Also you may not know that
the idea of long, long long, long long long etc. originated in the Algol
68 (or at least that's the first place where I found it).  A68 may be a dead
language (in the sense that Latin is one), but we can still learn from it!

	Guido van Rossum, "Stamp Out BASIC" Committee, CWI, Amsterdam
	guido at mcvax.UUCP

"Don't worry, you're not the only one I don't love."