SIZEOF

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Sun Jan 20 08:10:47 AEST 1985

In article <7527 at brl-tgr.ARPA> cottrell at nbs-vms.ARPA writes:

> K&R page 192 first paragraph:
>
>   "The compilers currently allow a pointer to be assigned to an integer,
		   *********
>an integer to a pointer, and a pointer to a pointer of another type.
>THE ASSIGNMENT IS A PURE COPY OPERATION, WITH NO CONVERSION. This usage is
							      **** ***** **
>nonportable, and may produce pointers which cause addressing exceptions
>
>This says to me that the sizes must be the same. Changing the size is
>a conversion in my eye.

Note the words I have underlined above.  Nowhere in this paragraph does
it say that this is a feature which a C compiler MUST have, only that
this is a feature of CURRENT compilers.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)