hot 68000 C cross-compiler sought

Steve Dyer sdyer at bbncca.ARPA
Fri Jan 11 09:51:10 AEST 1985

No, not in the sense of "stolen", but something which produces better code
than the myriad of PCC-derived 68K C compilers, such as the ones which have
evolved from the original MIT C compiler.  I spoke with Tartan Labs this
week, but it appears that they are aiming their future 68000 C compilers
towards workstations like Suns and Apollos, and are not planning to sell
their compiler in a cross-development environment.  This seems awfully
short-sighted to me, since a good 68K compiler is greatly needed, and there
are many many more systems with embedded 68000s in them than there are
Sun workstations.  Does anyone know of other compiler vendors who offer
optimizing 68000 C compilers for a cross-development environment like a VAX?
Is there any interest out there on the net for such a product?  I suppose that
a barrage of public interest here on USENET could influence Tartan's plans.
Reply to me, and I will summarize.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer