the one and only objection to C

mauney at ncsu.UUCP mauney at ncsu.UUCP
Thu Jan 3 06:25:14 AEST 1985

>  (1) I have seen an implementation of Pascal which allowed the
>  programmer to specify the byte offset of each field. Thus the
>  programmer gets complete control over the packing in the
>  record/structure. (Even overlapping fields were possible. Ick!) The
>  "packed" pragma would be the special case where the offsets are
>  consecutive.

OK, so we want to add representation specifications and pragmas to C.
How about if we also add packages, generics, overloading, and tasking.
Then we'd really have something. :-)
--

Jon Mauney       mcnc!ncsu!mauney       C.S. Dept, N. C. State University

(Ada?  Isn't that a novel by Vladimir Nabokov?)