derived types

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Fri Jan 25 03:23:24 AEST 1985

> > If I were to adapt C to the 170 series, I would set the following types:

> > 	float			60-bits
> > 	double			60-bits
> > --
> > Robert Viduya
>
> Don't you dare.  Double doesn't have to be exactly twice a float, but there
> has to be enough to assist numerical calculations in certain kinds of error
> determinations.

The CDC 170 series doesn't support reals larger than 60-bits in the hardware.
It can be done, but only through software.  C is defined to calculate all
real numbers as doubles.  This means that there'll be a lot of wasted time
spent doing something the machine can't do with it's native instruction set.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
    Office of Computing Services

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert