goto's in 'C'

Don Steiny steiny at scc.UUCP
Wed Jan 23 05:45:52 AEST 1985

> >The incidence of the "goto" in C code is so rare anyway, I dare say
> >we could abolish it altogether (replacing it with BLISS's "leave")
> >and not miss the loss. (I certainly never missed it in BLISS.)
>
> It is extremely useful, though,
> for 'hardcoding' finite state machines.

	Boy ain't that the truth.  I assign the task of rewriting
lex and yacc so that their output does not contain goto's to the
person who suggested they be abolished.    A typical yacc
output has hundreds of goto's.  It is not a bad thing when
is is done automatically.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382