External names in other languages

Brandon Allbery the tame hacker on the North Coast bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Thu Jan 24 16:38:34 AEST 1985

> Article <7332 at brl-tgr.ARPA>, from MLY.G.SHADES%MIT-OZ at MIT-MC.ARPA
+----------------
| 	it is a sound idea admittedly but it seems to me that all you
| are doing is the standard(?) practice of
|
| #define this_is_a_very_long_name xyzzy
| int this_is_a_very_long_name;

Which works fine if the name happens to only contain characters legal
in C identifiers.  IBM 370 labels can contain $, #, and @.  The first
is allowed in SOME C implementations; the other two are allowed in no
C that I know of.  You can't #define

#define ibm_370_ext_func SYS#FOO$

--bsa
--
   Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131  +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)