Multilevel standards

Brad Parker brad at gcc-opus.ARPA
Mon Jan 7 07:55:52 AEST 1985

In article <11 at mit-athena.ARPA> jc at mit-athena.ARPA (John Chambers) writes:

>Hey, c/mon fellas!  Pascal was designed as an introductory language for
>a first programming course.  Of course, it's restricted!  A full system
>language (like C) is not appropriate for Programming 101.  A toy language
>(like Pascal) is not appropriate for building operating systems.
>				John Chambers

Ah John, perhaps you should have a short talk with the folks over at Apollo.
They built an entire os, a transparent shared file system, network and
graphics system using Pascal. It has dynamic runtime binding (unlike unix)
and shared runtime libraries (unlike unix).
The system is not shabby - it's real fast AND supports C.

Not bad for a "toy language".

(personally, I would have done the work in C, but it shows that that vehicle
 is not the only concideration, the destination is...)

--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-opus!brad

"Say something once, Why say it again ?"
	- David Burne