an old idea whose time has come again

cpr at su-shasta.arpa cpr at su-shasta.arpa
Sat Jan 19 11:30:41 AEST 1985

[]

Re: Geoff Kuenning's message about 27 passes for the 1130 Fortran compiler
(yes, I also have fond memories of that machine, since it was my first):

Don't forget that the PL/I compiler for the 370 series has over 300 phases,
some of them more trivial than "put integer declarations into the symbol table".
It had to run in 32K, and give the size of the full language, the fact that
it only has 300+ phases is pretty amazing.  (These are not passes, they are
"phases", and were designed to be loaded together if there was enough memory
for that.)

--Chris Ryland, IMAGEN
  ...!{shasta,decwrl,spar,ucbvax}!imagen!cpr