Ramblings 6/7 - APL & C for Mac

Jay Fields jayf at islenet.UUCP
Thu Jun 13 07:55:33 AEST 1985

> Mac C & APL
> By J Fields
>
> While Macintosh seems to be the computer for the rest of us, what about all
> of the people who are use to the run-of-the-mill type of old standard
> computers?  What about people who like the usefulness of business
> languages like COBOL for coding business programs, or the speed and
> compactness of machine language for requirements that are speed or space
> critical?  Fortunately, new tools are coming along.  In recent months we've
> seen the arrival of both high-level languages like Basic, Forth, and Pascal
> (perhaps we'll even see COBOL soon); as well as machine level tools like
> MacASM for getting down to the   nitty-gritty bits.  (MacASM, by the way, is
> pronounced MAC-A-S-M with 'asm' spelled out so it doesn't sound like
> something out of Master's & Johnson's....)
>
> My own observation is that the MAC is turning out to be a very good
> platform to implement both high-level and low-level tools on.  Not only is
> the Mac user interface appropriate for writers of executive memos and high-
> tech scribblers, but it also lends itself well to programming -- I no longer
> have to write the same code twice.  The first language to show me this was
> HIPPO-C.
>
> Level one of Hippo-C comes with a well written and easy to use tutorial.
> How many languages have you learned by trudging through the books
> entering sample programs one at a time by hand?  With Hippo you can cut
> and paste the samples right out of the tutorial on your screen.  Want to
> experiment?  Well, you can use many of the same editing techniques you've
> been using in popular word processing programs to modify the sample
> programs.  So, instead of the program printing out Chris Somebody's name on
> your screen it can print out yours, or perhaps some favorite salutation,
> "Damn the torpedoes...."
>
> Today something new and exciting came along.  Dr. Jerry Brenan, who works
> in the University of Hawaii's Psychology department, introduced me to APL
> on the Macintosh.  This was particularly exciting because I've not even seen
> APL advertised for the Mac, and did not know it was available.  Don't all
> software producers start advertising months in advance of product
> availability?
>
> Now, if you're like I was before I knew about APL then you're probably
> sitting there asking yourself to reconsider your initial decision to read this
> particular article.  Such would have been my reaction at the very mention of
> a 'new language.'  The minds and bodies of programmers seem to develop
> some sort of defense mechanism with time.
>
> "We are not going to suffer these long hours while you learn every new thing
> that comes along." they seem to say.
>
> They may have a point.  After all, you've hardly touched that 'good ole'
> MDL-2+ after the time you spent learning it (never mind what it cost -- the
> [...]

Sorry for leaving out word about the people who make APL for Mac, and
thanks to Mark & Dave for calling my attention to this omission.  It was
one of my primary objectives to give them some well deserved credit in
the review...guess I got a bit excited and forgot.  Anyway....

Apl for the MAC is called PortAPL, and can be ordered from:
	Portable Software
	60 Aberdeen Ave.
	Cambridge, Ma. 02138

	(607) 547-2918

Price is $275.00 Plus $10.00 for shipping.  VISA & M/C are acceptable.

Now, if one of you wizards would send me the pill you take to learn this
stuff faster :)

Aloha,
J Fields