assignments in if statements

Bob Lied lied at ihlts.UUCP
Sat Jun 29 10:21:49 AEST 1985

Regarding the debate about nesting assignments in if statements, such as

	if ( (fp = fopen("foo", "r")) != NULL )

I prefer to make the assignment separate for the simple reason that
it gives me a place to set a breakpoint and test an alternate value
before the program decides what path to take.  It's not quite so
useful in 'if' statements, but before a switch it comes in very handy.
For example,

	c = getchar();
	switch ( c )			switch ( c = getchar() )

In the example on the left, I can examine c before the program goes on,
and I can change it if I need to test a strange case; on the right,
I have to depend on the input data.

	Bob Lied	ihnp4!ihlts!lied