2nd Annual Obfuscated Contest Winners

Landon Noll chongo at nsc.UUCP
Sat Jun 29 14:53:13 AEST 1985

In article <36 at bbnccv.UUCP> keesan at bbnccv.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) writes:
 >1. The most obscure program:
 >(submitted by Lennart Augustsson <seismo!mcvax!enea!chalmers!augustss> )
 >
 >is not legal C, even though the 4.2BSD compiler (and presumably other PCC-based
 >compilers) processes it as the author apparently intended.
 >
 >For these two reasons, especially the first, I don't think this program
 >deserves a prize.  Also, this is a bug in the 4.2BSD compiler, and even more
 >so in the 4.2BSD lint, which should issue a warning even if the compiler is
 >being forgiving.

So it breaks on other compilers eh?  Well such is life with a Obfuscated C
contest!  One has to hand it to someone for finding a "hole" in a compiler,
and driving a truck through it.

The contest rules stated that it has to be in "Common C".  There was nothing
to point out that it HAD to be standard C, K&R C, or Deathstar Unix C.
The ability to run an entry on other systems was a plus, not a rule.  Also,
we did not try, nor did we intend to check out each program on every
system/compiler.  We did not have time, or resources to do so!

Thank you for posting a suggested change so that other people might see
what the program does.   If anyone else finds another porting problem,
you might consider posting a bug fix to net.sources.bugs.

chongo <in any event, the awards are final> /\../\
--
no comment is a comment.