Casting call

geacc022%timevx at cit-hamlet.arpa geacc022%timevx at cit-hamlet.arpa
Sat May 18 01:18:22 AEST 1985

>This discussion has brought up another point -- somebody posted an example
>where he casted a lhs, and somebody pointed out that you can't do that.
>What I am wondering is, why can't you? There seem to be no semantic problems
>involved, and it can be very useful for something like:
>
>#define FREE(ptr)	 free(char *) ptr); (char *) (ptr) = (char *) -1;

There are indeed problems with this.  What if you're on a machine
where char * is 32 bits, but int * is only 16 bits?

What you really want is a "typeof" operator:

#define FREE(ptr)     {  free((char *) ptr); ptr = (typeof ptr) NULL;  }

Unfortunately, this doesn't exist either.  :-(

			Gary Ansok
			GEACC022%TIMEVX @ CIT-HAMLET.ARPA
			GEA @ CALTECH.BITNET
			...ucbvax!cithep!timevx#geacc022