C Floating point arithmetic

Walter Bright bright at dataioDataio.UUCP
Thu Nov 21 03:57:55 AEST 1985

In article <3369 at brl-tgr.ARPA> Schauble at mit-multics.arpa (Paul Schauble) writes:
>Does anyone know of a C compiler for the IBM PC that does NOT force all
>floating point arithmetic to be done in double precision? 8087 support
>is necessary.

The 8087 does all arithmetic internally in 80 bit floating format. Wanting
a compiler that does 32 bit floating arithmetic, and then requiring 8087
support does not accomplish much. Perhaps if you gave more information
about your problem, I could make a specific recommendation. For example,
is program size or speed the problem? Do you use the trig functions? Do
you require the program to run on non-8087 machines? There are a lot of
C compilers for the PC, all with slightly different solutions to these
problems.