break, et cetera [long, but you can stop early]

zben at umd5.UUCP zben at umd5.UUCP
Fri Nov 22 17:29:09 AEST 1985

In article <285 at 3comvax.UUCP> mikes at 3comvax.UUCP (Mike Shannon) writes:

>Chris Torek in the cited article:

>> I personally might even use a `Knuth-style goto', depending on
>> the situation:
>>
>> 	for (i = 0; i < HIGH; i++)
>> 		if (array[i] == X)
>> 			goto found;

>	How about some background on 'Knuth-stype goto's?  I've run across
>this style before, where there is some sort of descriptive label every
>5 or 6 lines.  And lots of goto's.
>	Does Knuth like these?  Do you like these?  What could recommend
>this style to anyone?  I can't say I like it very much.
>			Michael Shannon {ihnp4,hplabs}!oliveb!3comvax!mikes

No, no, stop!  DON'T tell them about GOTOs until they have demonstrated
that they have decisively broken the "more is better" syndrome!  Or else
it's going to be spaghetti time again.

Ya know, I think I read a science fiction story once with this same plot.
Or was it calculators? ... :-)
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben at umd2.ARPA