Uses of "short" ?

Christopher M. Meier meier at srcsip.UUCP
Tue Nov 5 16:03:27 AEST 1985

In article <48 at hadron.UUCP> jsdy at hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:

>Actually, if you are trying to write portable code, NEITHER is correct.
>This particular problem is exactly why we have the typedef, off_t.
>
>	off_t size_of_UNIX_file;
>
>is correct for portable code.
>
>However, either of the above is correct for throwaway code on machines
>for which each one happens to be true.  The trouble is, by not
>developing good (read innocuous but portable) habits in throwaway code,
>if you suddenly decide that you are an Implementor of Portable Code,
>you will have a lot of trouble get used to the "new" way of writing
>code.
>--
>
>	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

Can someone suggest a good reference (or references) for developing
good portable code?  We are writing code that will eventually be used
on machines other than our current 750 Vax running 4.2, and I would
like to make sure we won't have to spend time rewriting code.

Christopher Meier	{ihnp4!umn-cs,philabs}!srcsip!meier
Honeywell Systems & Research Center
Signal & Image Processing / AIT