ANSI 'C'.

Peter da Silva peter at graffiti.UUCP
Thu Nov 21 13:12:59 AEST 1985

> Crapola, ANSI standards are almost always based on some existing work.  But
> anything that's done by committee is likely to get riddled with a lot of
> self interests.

And you don't see this as a problem?

> > in many systems, due to the lack of a daylight savings flag in the O/S. Would

> Eh?  The timezone never belonged in the operating system!  Unix time is GMT.

Ctime(3) includes the definition of struct tm. This has been included bodily
in the X3J11 library. The structure includes an element "tm_isdst", which is
true if daylight savings time is currently active. This does NOT belong in
a language standard.

> > Finally, if \v is to produce a vertical tab, does that require the I/O library
> > to include termcap so that the various output devices that implement this
> > function in various ways can be accomodated?
>
> Vertical TAB is an ASCII character.  If the terminal doesn't support it,

The definition of the 'C' character set doesn't mention ASCII. It merely says
that '\v' should advance to the next vertical tab mark. Immediately before this
there are included a whole series of escape sequences that seem adequate to
write 'C' programs in CDC 64-character code. At the very least the language
is clumsy.
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'