NULL pointer

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-sem.ARPA
Mon Nov 18 07:29:30 AEST 1985

> Many of these problems would not exist today if the original definition of
> NULL had been:
>
> 	#define NULL	((char *) 0)

Personally, I never use NULL.  NULL is a misnomer.  Zero is defined
to be the invalid pointer, zero should be used.

But we've been through this before.  Assigning a type to NULL opens
up as many problems as it solves.  There are a class of machines where
byte pointers themselves are different than pointers to any other type.

If you are going to assing a type to NULL you probably ought to use
(void *).

=Ron