NULL pointer

fnf at unisoft.UUCP fnf at unisoft.UUCP
Sat Nov 23 06:30:18 AEST 1985

In article <3423 at brl-tgr.ARPA> bilbo.niket at locus.ucla.edu (Niket K. Patwardhan) writes:
>BTW, I have had this misconception ever since I heard of casts and apparently
>a number of people have also at least started out with such a notion.

Did you by chance get your first exposure to C on a PDP-11 using the DECUS
C compiler?  I did, and it repeatedly stated throughout the documentation
that "casts were not conversions", and that casting something to another
type was the same as treating the old object's *bit-pattern* as if
it was the new type with the same *bit-pattern*.  I don't know if it still
claims this, as this was several years ago.

-Fred