the 'entry' reserved word

Vicious Oyster oyster at uwmacc.UUCP
Wed Nov 6 01:04:50 AEST 1985

In article <2806 at brl-tgr.ARPA> bilbo.niket at LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Niket K. Patwardhan) writes:

>BTW, original K&R C had "entry" defined as a keyword but never told you what
>to do with it! Look it up, you will find it in the list of reserved keywords!

   I've been wondering about that.  Seems to me (that's your cue that this is
*opinion*) that it's more desirable to explicitly declare what can and cannot
be seen outside a module.  This could be done by marking as 'entry' each
variable or function that can be externally referenced.  Now, I'm not about
to argue with the experience that went into the design of C, but I wonder
if that wasn't what was originally considered.

 - Joel Plutchak
   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Can you say "opinion"?  I *knew* you could!