C Floating point arithmetic

Mark Hinds zoro at fluke.UUCP
Thu Nov 28 14:00:54 AEST 1985

In article <706 at lasspvax.UUCP> garry%geology at cu-arpa.cornell.edu.arpa writes:
>Pet peeve:
>
>In an inauspicious moment, K&R specified "All floating-point arithmetic
>in C is done in double precision" (pg 41).
>
>Comments? Does everybody agree?
>
>garry wiegand
>
>garry%geology at cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

	I can only gues that K&R did not intend C for numerical
	applications. This simplifies expression evaluation code
	generation, and greatly simplifies/reduces the math library
	(look at all the different flavors of math functions in FOTRAN).

	I agree that this is now a problem, it may not have been
	when C was first used. Hopefully ANSI C will resolve this.