"C" wish list.

Jeff Siegal jbs at mit-eddie.UUCP
Fri Nov 1 08:42:44 AEST 1985

In article <742 at mmintl.UUCP> franka at mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>I disagree; I prefer ;'s as statement terminators.  Trying to look at it
>objectively, I can see very little reason to prefer one or the other.  I
>suspect most people prefer whichever they first dealt with.  I am reasonably
>certain that essentially the same problem occurs either way: leaving them
>out when they are required, or inserting them when they are illegal.

Not exactly true.  With the statement separator model (Algol, Pascal),
one is free on insert or remove semi's at the end of the last statement
of a block with both forms being syntactically correct.  This does not
work with the statement terminator model (C).

As in:

BEGIN
 a := a + 1;
 b := b + 1;
END

or

BEGIN
 a := a + 1;
 b := b + 1
END

Of course, in the first case, the last statement in the block is
really the-null-statement which is between the semi (statement
separator) and the END (complex statement terminator).

Jeff Siegal - EECS

P.S.  I like statement terminators better too.