"break" statements

Richard Welty weltyrp at rpics.UUCP
Tue Oct 29 11:50:38 AEST 1985

> In article <195 at codas.UUCP> mikel at codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) writes:
> >In Ratfor (a pre-processor to fortran (ugh!)) you can specify the level of
> >the break statement, meaning, out of how many loops you want to break,
> >thusly "break 2;" would break out of the current loop, and the one it is
> >nested within, I would on many occasions have liked to have had this feature.
>
> Better to put some kind of label on the statements being "broken" out of,
> end specify the label in the break statement.  Otherwise, it's too easy
> to miscount -- especially with both loop and switch statements.
>
> Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

as I recall, the Bliss leave statement did exactly that.  In fact, the leave
statement returned a value (bliss is really a expression language, so leave
can return a value), which meant that a control structure could see why it
terminated ...
--
				Rich Welty

	"P. D. Q.'s early infancy ended with a striking decision;
	at the age of three, P. D. Q. Bach decided to give up music"
			- Prof. Peter Schickele,
			from "The Definitive Biography of P. D. Q. Bach"

	CSNet:   weltyrp at rpics
	ArpaNet: weltyrp.rpics at csnet-relay
	UUCP:  seismo!rpics!weltyrp