"C" wish list.

Eugene D. Brooks III brooks at lll-crg.ARpA
Sun Oct 27 12:19:19 AEST 1985

I would leave the language alone, is it quite adequate for the task of
writing good programs.  The problem is with some of the programmers.
I propose a new standard device driver /dev/cattleprod which the C compiler
and lint could open when it detects sloppy code and non portable constructs.
The device driver would operate a pair of electrodes that are imbedded in the
seat in front of the terminal.  The following dosages to be administered
for various infractions.

Use of "int foo;" in several files instead of "extern int foo;" in a header
file and "int foo = 0;" in one file. (10 volts)

Failing to check the returned value of system and library calls and use
perror() to report the problem.		(20 volts)

Being sloppy about floats and doubles, and pointers to them.  Every
machine is like the Vax type of attitude. (10 volts)

Not correctly delcaring types and other niceties to keep lint quiet. (10
volts for each warning)

This list is endless....  I also recommend a scale factor be applied to
the dosages with time so that penalties slowly get more severe.  This
would hopefully first give hints and then slowly force the progammer into
line.

PS.  	The now famous authors of several white books should not be exempt
	from /dev/cattleprod.  Have your ever seen the insides of the
	"portable" device independent troff?  Or even pcc for that matter?
	I don't exempt myself from /dev/cattleprod either.

							1/2 a :-)