Dying Architexures

COTTRELL, JAMES cottrell at NBS-VMS.ARPA
Thu Oct 17 06:02:07 AEST 1985

/*
> > It is often said that the whole world is not a VAX. Too bad. That's like
> > saying all (wo)men are not saint(e)s. It all started with the PDP-11,
> > which defined the basic instruxion set architexure for practically all
> > new machines. Take a look at the 68000 & say, `this is a pdp-11.'
>
> PDP-11's?  The IBM 360 series was commercially introduced in 1965, and was
> available to selected customers via the 1965-equivalent of IBM's ESP
> program (Early Support Program) in 1964.  I'm not a big fan of IBM's,
> nor the architecture of the 360/370/303x/308x/309x machines, but in terms
> of "defining architectures" for new machines, they have NO competition
> by just about any measure (number of machines installed [in the appropriate
> class], quantity of installed-base code [$375 Billion+, is the current
> estimate], etc.)

Be careful for using popularity as justification. Adolf Hitler was
elected by an overwhelming majority. So was Richard Nixon.

What I *meant* to say is the pdp-11 was the first *reasonable* machine,
and the one that seems to have inspired subsequent micros the most.

> I read a book some time ago titled, "The Sun Never Sets On IBM" by Thomas
> J. Watson, Sr. as I recall.   Apt title.

The British used to say that as well...

	jim		cottrell at nbs
*/
------