Enum in switch

Herb Kanner kanner at tymix.UUCP
Sat Oct 5 02:23:58 AEST 1985

Recently, we had the temporary use of an AT&T UNIX PC, which is supposed to
be running System V.  Before returning it whence it came, we tried to
compile and execute a moderate sized program (about 2000 lines of C) which
had been developed on 4.2BSD.  The first thing we had to fix, of course,
were instances of identifiers whose first eight characters coincided.  This
was expected.  What was not expected was that while the compiler accepted
the declaration of an enum, it refused to permit its use in a switch
statement.  Is this a bug or a feature?

This program did compile and execute ok on 4.2BSD.

--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.