Portable code: identifier length

Lum Johnson lum at osu-eddie.UUCP
Sun Dec 21 07:18:09 AEST 1986

In article <1630 at brl-adm.ARPA> KLH at sri-nic.arpa (Ken Harrenstien) writes:
>The implementations for the DEC PDP-10 that I know of only allow 6
>significant monocase characters in external identifiers; this is a
>limitation imposed on almost all PDP-10 software by the format of
>standard relocatable files (the latest format does provide for longer
>symbols but is both too new and incomplete to help any).

That is correct for relocatable files acceptable to pre-V6 LINK;
V6 LINK accepts symbol names significant upto 72 SIXBIT-compatible
ASCII chars with case being optionally significant.

Digital is withdrawing support from the PDP-10 architecture, so it
will either disappear soon or be appropriately updated and supported
by the formation of a user consortium, as recently requested at DECUS.

Lum Johnson  lum at ohio-state.arpa  ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!lum