Machine readable version of ANSI draft

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Fri Dec 19 20:10:32 AEST 1986

I took my copy of the draft proposed standard down to the local Krishna
Copy shop and used their Kurzweil reading machine to try reading it
in.  Basic result is no luck.

It would get much of the text of a page, especially on the 3rd or 4th
page after it had gotten used to the text, but there was no page on
which it didn't make at least 10 or 20 errors.  On some lines, it
didn't recognize a single character, though it had read the previous
line and the next line without trouble.  It would be faster to retype
the damn thing than to go back and try to fix the errors.

I have not tried it on a Palantir scanner yet; if I get the time, I
will.  But it appears that technology is not going to save us from
brain damaged policies in our standards bureacracy; I guess we'll have
to reform the bureacracies instead, which is a lot less fun than building
good technologies.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore at lll-crg.arpa
Call +1 800 854 7179 or +1 714 540 9870 and order X3.159-198x (ANSI C) for $65.