incrementing after a cast

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Dec 16 02:30:26 AEST 1986

In article <264 at bobkat.UUCP> m5d at bobkat.UUCP (Mr Mike McNally) writes:
>I think that further suggestions along the lines of "let's change the
>language so I can do something disallowed for good reason in the
>existing language" should be directed to the ANSI committee, where they
>hopefully will be directed to the ANSI wastebasket.

Well, if you send an official comment on the proposed draft standard
to ANSI, they will eventually send it to the X3J11 committee, who have
to evaluate the comment and provide a response. It would be to
everybody's advantage if only well thought-out comments (including
persuasive arguments and specific wording for any proposed changes)
are submitted.  Note that a common reason for rejecting suggestions
is, approximately: "new invention; conflicts with existing practice;
need not convincingly shown; accomplishable with existing facilities".

Changes are, however, made when appropriate.  Here is an *unofficial*
list of changes approved at last week's X3J11 meeting:

several editorial changes, mostly for clarification

exit() status argument for success is 0 or EXIT_SUCCESS; for failure,
EXIT_FAILURE; other status values have implementation-defined meaning

DBL_DIG and LDBL_DIG minimum values to be increased, probably to 10

portable guaranteed subset for #include names to be provided

section 4.5.6.4 Description: delete 2nd sentence; Returns: add: if y
is 0, fmod returns 0.0.

permit stripping of trailing blanks from text input lines

name of strcoll() changed to strxfrm(); new routine just like X/OPEN
nl_strcmp() now called strcoll() (this can cause confusion unless one
specifies "new strcoll()" or "old strcoll() as in published draft")

malloc(0) meaning is now implementation-defined (a majority wanted
it to allocate a distinct pointer, but it takes a 2/3 majority to
make changes to the draft now)

I post these in the hope that if you were thinking about recommending
one of these changes, you will now be spared the effort of writing up
the comment.