draft ANSI standard: needs your tomatoes

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.UUCP
Thu Dec 25 07:17:23 AEST 1986

In article <2550002 at hpisod2.HP> decot at hpisod2.HP (Dave Decot) writes:
>I don't know about the others, but SOURCE_LINE_LENGTH is not the minimum
>allowable maximum number of lines in a source file, it's the minimum allowable
>maximum length of *each* source line.  Personally, I'd like to see that
>particular value set to 128, so I can fit listings on my lineprinter.

Note that this constant refers to the line length *after* macro expansion.  I
just tried running the preprocessor on the line "putchar(getchar());" (with
<stdio.h>) and found it to be 642 characters.

This may be a pathological case, but I think it illustrates the need for a
moderately large value for this constant, even if "real" source files are 80
columns wide.

If you want to fit *processed* listings on your printer, I suggest you obtain
(or write) a filter to fold long lines.