ANSI C -- site identification

Rob Warnock rpw3 at amdcad.UUCP
Thu Dec 18 20:18:11 AEST 1986

+---------------
| My off the wall suggestion to extend preprocessing to allow strings
| (assuming it's workable), solves the problem by defining __PROCESSOR__
| (etc.) symbols that have implmentation-defined *string* content.
| Thus, there is no registry that assigns numbers to implementors.
| Since implementors generally trademark their names, there's no
| real risk of spoofing.  | Martin Minow | decvax!minow
+---------------

Well, you could always standardize on the machine & system names
listed in RFC960 (which are all-caps strings). Though to make it
useful, you would have to add a string-equality operator to the
pre-processor... ;-}

#if streql(__PROCESSOR__,"VAX-11/780")
#endif

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403