draft ANSI standard: are chars signed?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Dec 16 02:44:20 AEST 1986

In article <1462 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>I would rather they had broken half the code that makes assumptions,
>rather than all of it.

X3J11 did not change the pre-existing situation with respect to (char)
signedness.  There never was a guarantee that (char) was signed, nor
that it was unsigned.  It will be either one or the other, defined
by the implementation.  There is a guarantee that the required source
character set have positive values as (char)s; so far as I know, this
also agrees with existing practice.

Since there was no change made to the status quo, it's hard to see how
this counts as "breaking code".