draft ANSI standard: one change that would *really* help Europe

Andrew Scott Beals bandy at lll-crg.ARpA
Thu Dec 4 04:58:32 AEST 1986

In article <1382 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>[This is posted to comp.lang.c because mod.std.c seems to be dead.  Love
>those mod groups!]

>[We really need an 8-bit character set and C needs to acknowledge this]

>[John thinks that perhaps "char" should be unsigned - most programs
  would be more correct since they assUme that chars are unsigned]

Well, I heartily agree, but I think that there must be some programs
out there that assume that chars are useful as small signed numbers,
which I would also prefer not to break.

Also, I think that having chars have different semantics (assumed unsigned
rather than signed like int) would be a bad thing in general.  Perhaps
what is needed is a "tiny" type (ala long and short) that would be signed
and (for now) essentially a signed char.

Of course, this brings in yet another type (oh no!) and yet another
reserved word, but it would make programs nicer.
	andy
--
Andrew Scott Beals	(member of HASA - A and S divisions)
bandy at lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,ptsfa,pyramid}!lll-crg!bandy