draft ANSI standard: one change that would *really* help Europe

lamy at ai.toronto.edu lamy at ai.toronto.edu
Wed Dec 3 02:24:46 AEST 1986

ISO Latin 1 is an 8 bit character set that is a superset of ASCII.
Portability, then, is a matter of having standard transliteration rules, e.g.
c-cedilla --> c    , a-ring --> aa

But I sincerely doubt that code with native identifiers would ever make it to
public distribution. Such code is usually commented in English (or an
approximation thereof), with English identifiers (i, j, k, x, y, z, p, c, s
:-).

Jean-Francois Lamy
one day, I may have all the characters I need to type my name :-(

AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     CSNet: lamy at ai.toronto.edu
University of Toronto		       EAN:   lamy at ai.toronto.cdn
Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A4	       UUCP:  lamy at utai.uucp