(unsigned) -1 yields all 1s

Rick Genter rgenter at j.bbn.com
Wed Dec 17 01:16:17 AEST 1986

> 	Actually, I think (unsigned) -1 does have to give you a bit pattern of
> all 1's.  I can not find an explicit reason, but I can deduce this from the
> following:
> [...]
> 	3.  The value in the range 0 to 2^n-1 (inclusive) congruent mod 2^n
> 	to -1 is 2^n-1.  In straight binary notation this value is repre-
> 	sented as all 1's.

This assumes your machine is in straight binary notation.  If your machine
uses one's complement notation (CDC Cyber?), -0 is represented as all ones.
					- Rick
--------
Rick Genter 				BBN Laboratories Inc.
(617) 497-3848				10 Moulton St.  6/512
rgenter at bbn.COM  (Internet new)		Cambridge, MA   02238
rgenter at bbnj.ARPA (Internet old)	seismo!bbn.com!rgenter (UUCP)