ANSI C -- reserved words

Michael Meissner meissner at dg_rtp.UUCP
Sat Dec 27 01:45:55 AEST 1986

In article <107 at decvax.UUCP> minow at decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) writes:

> Page 13, line 10ff (and many other places). The values defined in
> <limits.h> should be written with a leading underscore, so they do not
> occupy the name space reserved to user programs. The Standard should not
> create new quasi-reserved words that occupy the name space reserved to
> user programs.

The reasons the names in limits.h are what they are, is we started with
with 1984 /usr/group document as the base document for the library section.
I believe the reason /usr/group chose the names they did was to accomidate
preprocessors with 8 characters of significance.  At the last meeting (which
was also the P1003 meeting in the same hotel) it was brought up to P1003
(the offical successors to the /usr/group document).
--
	Michael Meissner, Data General
	...mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!meissner